The McMaster Neuroscience Graduate Program seeks to attract the brightest graduate minds to the field.
Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary field and our program embraces the full range of research areas. Thus, students from a range of different undergraduate programs will have appropriate backgrounds for admission to the Neuroscience Graduate program.
Applicants who hold a 4 year Honors undergraduate degree in a field relevant to Neuroscience research with a B+ average in the final year are generally admissible.
International applicants must submit TOEFL or Academic IELTS scores.
Applicants to the PhD program should have the same background in Neuroscience as Master’s applicants.
Students showing outstanding potential and high academic standing may be accepted directly to the PhD program.
Before Starting Be Sure to Have...
- Names & email for 2 Academic references
- A CV/resume and transcripts from all previous Universities attended.
- One page (~500 word) Statement of Interest in graduate studies in Neuroscience at McMaster University.
- Transcripts from ALL previous post secondary institutions attended.
If you do not find the answer there then contact us for help. We can usually answer questions within 2 business days.
Thank you for your application to the Neuroscience Graduate Program at McMaster University.
To best represent our population we welcome applications from Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit, and Metis) learners via our Facilitated Indigenous Admissions Program (FIAP). All applications received through the FIAP are reviewed exclusive of the general applicant pool. After review, applications that are deemed eligible are distributed to all faculty members who are currently recruiting graduate students (also exclusive of the general applicant pool).
Applications for Fall 2023 Admission Open October 1, 2022
Deadline for COMPLETE applications (including reference letters) is January 13, 2023
No late applications will be accepted
The Admissions committee will review applications after the deadline to identify promising candidates. The selection is based on:
- academic success,
- research experience,
- statement of research interests,
- and letters of recommendation.
Got an application question? Check out our application FAQ page.
How to apply to the Neuroscience Graduate Program
- Start by browsing the Neuroscience Graduate Program website -
- Complete the on-line School of Graduate Studies (SGS) application for admission to The Neuroscience Graduate Program at McMaster University.
- The steps below list the information that you will be asked to submit to complete your application to the Neuroscience Graduate Program.
- Provide information about the areas of neuroscience research/field of study you are interested in pursuing.
- List 1 - 3 supervisors that you may be interested in working with. See our FAQ page for more details about finding the supervisor that is right for you.
- Submit contact information for 2 Academic references. They must be faculty members. **Both References MUST be received by your application deadline so be sure to follow up with them before January 13th if they have not completed the reference.**
- Upload a 1 page statement of your interest in neuroscience research and graduate studies in our program.
- Upload a current CV/Resume
- Upload a copy of your transcripts from ALL post secondary institutions you have attended (in 1 combined PDF). Either a scanned version or one that you have downloaded from your university are acceptable...(must be a transcript, grade reports will not be accepted)
- Mail the following items to the Neuroscience Graduate Program Admissions (address below)
- If your first language is not English, have ETS send TOEFL scores or Academic IELTS scores. The code for McMaster is 0936. See our FAQ page for minimum scores required.
- If you are offered admission, original sealed transcripts will be required from every post secondary institution you have attended. Have an original official transcript(s) mailed to us in a sealed envelope from each university that you have attended. (These sealed transcripts are not required as part of the application, just the PDF is).
Have your previous post secondary institution(s) and ETS send your Official Sealed Transcripts and TOEFL scores to:
Neuroscience Graduate Program Admissions
McMaster University - Building #34
1280 Main St West - PC 303
Hamilton ON L8S 4K1
(or emailed to email@example.com by your previous University)